About Open Heart Magic
Open Heart Magic (OHM) began in 2004 with the mission of bringing the transformative and therapeutic power of magic to kids facing the toughest medical situations. At the end of 2019, more than 160 of our volunteer Hospital Magicians were teaching kids magic at their hospital bedsides. OHM volunteers change the hospital experience for young patients by taking their minds off their fears, bringing them hope, and making them feel stronger to tackle their illnesses. At our peak in 2019, we reached over 12,000 children one-to-one at fifteen children’s hospitals in Chicago, Ann Arbor and Cleveland, including Lurie Children’s Hospital, University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, and the Cleveland Clinic and are on track to return to this sizable impact.
A quick look at our Bedside Magic program:
About the Part-Time Office & Operations Manager position
We’re a dynamic community of fun, talented, caring folks. We’re looking for a team member who shares this energy and cares just as much. We’re looking for someone who is self-motivated and thrives in an entrepreneurial, all-in environment.
As one of three people working in our downtown Chicago office, you’ll need access to reliable transportation. Yes, you’ll be interacting with staff and our volunteers so being in the office is critical.
You will be interacting with staff and volunteers who work bedside with kids who have repressed immune systems, you will need to receive the necessary vaccinations as required by our hospital volunteers including regular flu shots, COVID vaccinations and boosters and whatever else will protect the volunteers and the kids we help.
A degree in business, communications, or marketing is preferred. Ideally, we’d like someone with 1-2 years of business, project management and operations experience preferably with a non profit.
Proficiency with Excel, Word, and Salesforce is required; experience with Formstack, and Mailchimp is a plus. You must be comfortable learning new technology.
You must be able and comfortable lifting boxes of magic supplies and special events materials and displays from unloading a pallet of LEGO sets to playing cards.
Does this sound like you?
- You are detail-oriented. Typos drive you crazy. You double-check your work, and then triple-check.
- You know your way around an Excel spreadsheet and know when to pop in a new formula to make life easier.
- You have strong conversational writing skills that can be varied in style from fun and punchy to black-tie formal.
- You are results-oriented, experienced in time management, and can work on your own with minimal supervision.
- Your research and analysis skills could put a mad scientist to shame.
- You like organizing events and seeing to every detail so things go off without a hitch.
- You look at any situation and identify how to make it better.
- You are process-driven and can’t imagine a world without checklists.
- You genuinely enjoy collaborating and giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- You’ll be supporting over 150 volunteers, staff members, and board members. The use of laptop will be provided for work purposes.
- You will start with three, 6-hour days a week. Your responsibilities may grow as OHM grows if excel in your role. As long as we have coverage, your scheduled start time can be flexible during the business day.
- This role starts at $18-20/hour based on your experience.
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends for special events is required.
- This role will be part time for at least 12 to 18 months if not longer depending on community and financial growth.
Bookkeeping, Donor Management, and Office Administration
Maintain and manage donor and financial data to allow OHM’s strategic and financial decision making to be more effective and efficient; Prepare end-of-month bookkeeping for our accountants; bank deposit tracking; meticulous data entry; inputting and tracking donation information in Salesforce; matching gift processes; write and send thank you notes and donation receipts; prepare annual report data management; ordering office supplies; other administrative tasks as assigned.
Special Events and Annual Benefits Administration
Assist with coordination and planning; organize catered meals and other food prep for select events; tracking RSVP’s; help set up and tear down; manage storage of special events materials.
Wearing Several Support Hats Stacked On Top Of Each Other
We are looking for someone eager to get their hands in whatever project needs support that week. Whether that’s diving into grant research, mailing out gear to marathon runners, packing and sending magic deliveries to hospitals, and more! Your willingness to comprehensively pitch in where needed will get you far.
To apply for this position, please follow these specific instructions:
Please submit your resume as a PDF and answer the following questions. There is no need to attach a separate cover letter. You can drop this information into the body of your email to make it easy.
- Please describe and give examples of how you are detail-oriented like a surgeon.
- Provide examples of how you are results-oriented like a boss.
- Please tell us about the most complex, data focused project you’ve worked on
- Please list the top 5 software and/or online applications you are most proficient with.
- Explain why you want to do this type of work for a nonprofit and, specifically, for Open Heart Magic.
Please email your response to [email protected].
Best of luck. If you don’t hear back from us within two months, another candidate was selected. If this ad is still live, then we’re still looking. We know it stinks not hearing back, but we hate sending canned emails. We think you’re awesome for wanting to work for a nonprofit that helps kids. Thanks for applying.